Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Kiara Park Series

I think I've lost count on the Kiara Park shoots I've made. With all due respect, I've learned a lot from these various shoots, ranging from composition, to low lighting, to shooting in RAW, to digital editing. I've visited the place early in the morning (when I was on MC that day), and I've gone shooting in the evenings, from bright 'till dusk, to dark. Until today, whenever I'm bored or feel that I want to experiment a little, I'll head over there. I've actually compiled three of my shoots in a little series to demonstrate how much my technique has changed over this short period of time.

Evening of 4th July 2009

The American Independence Day came and went quietly for us Malaysians. This collection of shots was taken with my el classico, the Canon EOS 1000D. I can't remember if I was using the kit EF-S 18-55mm or the Tamron 28-75mm but even if I wasn't using the Tammy, I bought it not long after.

[Editor: Actually, it was your second-hand Tamron SP 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6]













  







  



Morning of 13th May 2010

In continuing some odd tradition of going out shooting on days of historical significance, this time around I was out on the infamous May 13th. For this shoot I was further armed with the superb Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8. Also present in this shoot: I was shooting in RAW for the first time and photoshopping is becoming the norm after this one. Also, I am beginning to selectively place watermarks on my pictures.





  



















Evening of 21st November 2010

In the first set, it was pretty obvious that I was virtually walking around with my camera, finding something to shoot. The pictures are generally uninspired and hastily taken, although effort was taken for the composition. I remember getting on my belly for some of the shots. In the second set, the pictures show that I've matured slightly, now with clear inspiration and objective for my choice of shots. I seem to know what I'm looking for, and I have (at least) a basic understanding of the concept of dramatic lighting. My composition has also improved dramatically. Not forgetting a basic skill, I've added in Lightroom editing to the mix, giving me more rein over my colours and sharpness.

By this 3rd set, I am currently armed to the teeth, sporting a Canon EOS 50D with an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L on tow. I am only short of a full frame camera, but in this instance (outdoor/wildlife) its not really necessary. Sometimes crop sensors are good for you provided you know what you want to do with your camera.

By now, I'm thoroughly selective of the shots I take, the shots I keep and the shots I discard. I'm obviously bored of the regular shots and I am looking for something abstract, dramatic and different. Whether I achieved this or not, I am not sure. Still work in progress...














2 comments:

  1. Brilliant shots of the sunset and the grass cutting - jam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jazza. I didn't know there were people looking at my photos!

    ReplyDelete